Friday, November 14, 2008
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Monday, September 29, 2008
Lindsey asked me how I size sky&boat and this is what I said:
I used to do sizes 1, 2, 3 which meant s, m, l, but I found myself explaining that to everyone, so then I switched to s, m, l. stores were concerned that the large wasn't big enough so I added xl. There is no size standard for the whole industry, every brand fits differently, but when I am asked what sizes does a medium fit I have estimated the number equivalent so that I can answer : small= 2-4, medium=6-8, large=10-12, and xl= 14-16, and because of the fabrics I use I can also say that because my clothes are stretchy they will fit a variety of body types.
Monday, September 22, 2008
i have a box of pattern hooks, 140 to be exact, and if you want to purchase some of them let me know because that's a helluva lot of hooks. to answer your question, heather, they are like a hanger hook with a string and a little t-shaped piece of metal at the bottom, so you can hook all of your pattern pieces together and hang them up. they are really quite handy.
as for what's next... i really think we should consider the art institute mentor deal - we'd get paid. also, we could have a fabric sale? or a sample sale? something fun.
Saturday, September 20, 2008
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Wednesday, August 13, 2008
Tuesday, August 5, 2008
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Monday, July 28, 2008
Whooo hooo the call for artists is out and about! I love this event and so should yall! check out their website http://www.junktofunk.org/ for all the info! This is the piece I made last year. Its constructed out of rubber gloves stitched onto screens from printing and hard bound book covers laced together for a corset! Its trashy!
Friday, July 25, 2008
Sunday, July 20, 2008
Saturday, July 19, 2008
Friday, July 18, 2008
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Tuesday, July 15, 2008
Monday, July 14, 2008
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Hey guys, I just spoke with Elizabeth Mollo, the production manager of Portland Fashion Week. They are currently taking submissions so the question is, should we apply and show our work? I think the best contact over there would be Teito as Tod is a little forgetful (he doesn't know my name after two years). Who should be in charge of contacting them for us? We should start this before our meeting next week. Volunteers?
or as they say it in tennessee, vols?
Wednesday, July 9, 2008
FOYER bombs the wweek
Foyer got a mad hit in this year's annual wweek finder! I guess it pays off to have a sexy shop full of rad shit (like the exclusive ERHART dress in the shot!) Watch out portland, you've been letting us know we are fly and that can only mean one thing..........
Props to the boys at foyerclothing.com
Friday, July 4, 2008
Okay, from now on we're going to put a "D" by items that are "DECIDED" and a "P" by items that are proposed. Cool.
- D - It's okay to order fabric after Pool. You have 6 months to get your orders done!
- D - We figured out how we are going to pay our dj's and everybody from the Trunkshow
- D - We are definitely adding Rachel to our friend list, along with others whom we like
- D - We are going to get a gift for you know who and you know who to thank them for you know what and Emily is going to organize that with the CSA
- D - We established our various jobs within the Fashion Fight Club:
MEETING MEDIATOR: EMILY C.
PRESS RELEASE WRITER: HEATHER
TREASURER: EMILY K./SUMMER
EMAIL READER AND TASK DOLER OUTER: KENYA
PEOPLE PERSON: CHELSEA
- P - Moratorium on new members until after Pool?
- D - We have a contact email which is: email@example.com
- D - New Pool fee deadline, July 18th
- D - New Pool possibles will meet at our July 10th meeting at noon
- D - Post agenda on blog
- P - As a group we'll make up a form email response letter for prospective Fight Club members, not everyone stoked on this idea.
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
the price? a smooth, even $100. that's a $2 discount per yard. holy smokes!
let me know if you're interested.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Monday, June 23, 2008
Its finally out! Leanimal, Layer's Squared via Foundation Garments and Erhart loaned some of our favorite looks for the Police League's Summer Fashion Camp! Enjoy the article and the photos below! Erhart will be leading a workshop on tee reconstruction next month! Photo above features Layers Squared and Erhart
Thursday, June 19, 2008
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Great News Everyone! I spoke to Marjoie today and We are getting printed up in the paper! Who Who Who! Unfortunately my goof will also be in print, I'm very sorry about this! So in an effort to make amends, I did a little research and came up with an even better mascot! I bet Zane can make this one look real good!
Remeber Friendly Readers! This Sunday at Olio United the Fashion Fight Club is hosting our first ever Trunk Show! If you are interested in joining our elitist, not so mean, oh so fashionable club, come to the show and meet us! We will be there from noon until 5!
Guys, I'm sorry that I passed on an image that yall decided not to use. Hell at least I didn't use this one! Lets focus on making the trunk show a sucess. Remember everyone this Sunday, June 22 from noon to five at Olio United! DJ Beyonda and DJ Equestrian and lots of cool kid clothes that you can fight in! Don't worry Minh, we will have some clothes for the boys too!
Tuesday, June 17, 2008
This blog is our way of communicating with you- and with each other. And so, along with sewing resources, meeting minutes, requests for studio space, and dates and times of up-coming events, you will also read about the inner workings of a collective. We are nine personalities and even though we genuinely enjoy each other, conflict does come up. Instead of taking down posts once issues are resolved, the posts will remain as a catalog of our trials and travails. It is an honest read. Enjoy.
for those of us who have been at the last two meetings we might all remember that we decided to NOT use the logo that was given to marjorie skinner to post on her blog. has anyone else gone to this link yet? http://mod.portlandmercury.com
Are we working together? Are we a collective? Do we meet and talk and hear each other? Because with the latest edition of the press-release, I am beginning to wonder. I have worked in some amazing collectives but I have also experienced the frustration and anger that come from a poorly functioning collective. I want FFC to be pleasant and beneficial to us all. I want it to be smooth and harmonious. I want it to be the good kind of collective. But what seems to be developing is discord- specifically one individual making decisions for the rest of us. Decisions that are inaccurate and against the will of the group. And not only that- but making those decisions public! Broadcasting them. Our logo looks nothing like that chicken bullshit. There are more than two of us in this group. It was founded by Kenya. The opposite of all of this was just published on the Mercury Blog.
Monday, June 16, 2008
- 8 spots are confirmed for the Pool Trade Show, we still need to find one more designer
- Our money is due by July 1st. (keep how much we are each paying secret) You can write a check out to the Pool Trade Show, Kenya will mail our checks together. Thanks!
- Lindsey's going to help us by finding a large rental van for traveling down in
- Party is going to be held on the 22nd of June from 12-5 at Olio United
- We're going to have 2 djs, a banner, and must bring a rack if we have one
- Still undecided on beverages, if we do want them, we should supply them, not Olio
- Kenya and I spoke with Cathy and Korinne after our last meeting. They suggested we bring our own cash bags and receipts to do our own transactions with customers. That they will run credit cards for us, for a 15% fee. That they have some racks, but if people have a few nice racks that could be better. Everyone will meet by 11 at the space, doors open at noon.
- We decided to use Kenya's friend's logo, he will create a final version for our approval soon
- We still need to find a font, some people are on that
- fashionpeddler.com - this is an online tradeshow that is quickly getting big. It costs $300 now, 25 styles = $125
- Our "how to rep lines" meeting with Tracy will be held at her show room on July 28th at 7:00pm. We will take only 3 cars and will bring offerings for Tracy as a thanks.
- Portland Fashion Week as a collective $500 per designer
- Bring intentions about FFC to next meeting
- Come up with rules and guidlines
- Reach consensus about membership
- Have a base for mission statement
Thursday, June 12, 2008
Fashion Fight Club Formation Trunk Show! (FFCFTS)
Meet the Members of Portland’s Fiercest Fashion Collective at Olio United June 22
The First rule of Fashion Fight Club is that you talk about us all the time!
Fashion Fight Club is a Portland designer collective comprised of a handful names you may recognize as well as a few emerging designers to watch out for. This group of young, talented, and somehow all disgustingly cute, designers share information and resources as well as promote each other. Additionally some members of the FFC will be making their presence known while creating a scene at Pool Tradeshow this August. The roll call of the FFC thus far is: Leanimal, sky&boat, Filly, Erhart, Failure of Industry, Layers Squared, Antic, Paper Doll, Reif and Foyer.
In celebration of the FFC formation, DJ Beyonda and DJ Equestrian will be spinning records at Olio United at 1028 SE Water Ave from noon to 5pm on June 22. The FFC will be selling overstock and one-of-a-kind pieces for all you Portland fashoinistas. This will be a great opportunity to check out the ultra hip and eco friendly likes of Olio United, who not only carry a few Fight Club lines but also housewares, in addition to clothing for men women and children too.
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
Sunday, June 8, 2008
Saturday, June 7, 2008
Friday, June 6, 2008
Surprisingly, we are still not booked for the 22nd!
Our rates are divided by before 6pm and after 6pm.
private rates are:
before 6pm, $75 for the first three hours and $10 for each additional hour until 6pm.
After 6pm, $150 for the first three hours and $25 for each additional hour.
community(non-profit) rates are:
Before 6pm, $50 for the first three hours and $5 for each additional hour until 6pm.
After 6pm, $75 for the first three hours and $10 for each additional hour.
We also ask for a fully refundable security/cleaning deposit of $75 if no alcohol is served, $100 if there is alcohol. We ask for separate rent and deposit checks made out to WERC-- we will not cash the deposit checks unless something goes wrong and the contract to clean and secure the hall is not met on your end.
If you'd like to speak with a real person, ask questions or get a tour of the Hall, we're in the office M//F 5-7pm, W 6:30-8:30pm. Stop by and take a look!
Does anyone know where I could get a rolling rack- collapsible, cheapish?
Also- I wanted to let everyone know where I got my postcards and business cards made- they came back great with high quality images: www.OvernightPrints.com
I get my catalogs printed at www.colorvisionmedia.com
I have to admit I am not that stoked on the logo- I was thinking of something less chickeny. But thank you to the guys who worked on it. Logos are tricky and designing one that pleases all 9 of us will be even trickier I suppose. We will discuss.
i don't think we need a budget yet, we are creative and spontaneous!
i also don't think we need to change the date.
we may need to change the location to a place where we can just show up and set up.
as far as the logo and banner are concerned i think it will take us longer to decide on a logo, but we can discuss a font at the next meeting and print out a temporary banner that just says "fashion fight club" on paper, at kinko's for a few dollars, i will be in charge of doing that.
also, i thought we did start dividing up tasks at the last meeting. we have enough time to pull this off and to do it well if you all still want to....
i have had some people working on our logo as well and I will show you all the drawings at the next meeting.
also i was making this......
- Lindsey made us a myspace page. You can go to www.myspace.com/fashionfightclubpdx to see it.
- We need to get a logo and font together!
- Emily Kingan is going to help us all out by giving a bookkeeping workshop! YAY! This is going to happen sometime in the not too distant future.
- The last week of July, sometime in the afternoon Tracey is going to give us a little lecture on repping our clothing.
- We decided to work on getting press by doing smaller events for a while, holding off on a big fashion show event until people have heard our name a few times.
- We talked about doing the Junk to Funk fashion event again (happening in November)...this time we thought it might be better if we made our recycled outfits as a group, instead of trying to force ourselves to use up all our scraps alone.
- In regards to the Pool Show, here's what we discussed:
- We need hang tags
- We will get 2 racks each in our spacious booths
- It's a good idea to have a design feature in your booth. ie. hanging a large print of a photograph, putting up drawings, etc.
- The bigger the line you show, the more interest you will attract to your booth
- It's important to show all colorways, not just bring samples of other colors your clothing comes in.
- We're going to rent the biodiesel bus to take to Vegas for the event
- We're going to do a practice runthrough of Pool before the big day
- FFC t-shirts, sashes, buttons, cards, totes, etc.etc. merch! We are going to sell it on our website
- Make postcards (takeaways) of your line for buyers and interested parties to have to remember you
- We learned about the cool iphoto function that allows you to make your own cool catalogues!!
- Some Portland label/notions places:
- Rose City Textile
- NW Tag and Label - 11th and Division
- PCB labels (online)
- Our warehouse party:
- Scheduled for June22nd
- Beyonda and Equestrian are on board for dj-ing
- Sara Moskovitz from the Willamette Weekly will put out our press release!
- Let's get organized.
On a second note, I sat down to write the proposal for the landlord to let us use the space. I quickly became overwhelmed by all the details we didn't really discuss. While its important for us to be underground, we also have to be prepared for folks to come see us. FCC might be underground, but none of our businesses are, so I feel that it is in our best interest to throw a professional party/sale.
here is the list of things that need to be taken care of before any press release is written.
1. We need a sound system for Beyonda ($)
2. The space in the where house needs to be cleaned up-
3. Drinks, either we get a sponsor our we purchase a whole lot of them ($)
4. We need a logo finalized, a picture says a thousand words
5. Sponsors would be ideal to cover the cost of sound system drinks and advertising
6. We need to divide the jobs for the sale ie who is writing the press release, who is designing the flyer to contact folks with, clean up, rental of sound system, general lackey
Its a lot huh?! Perhaps we should give ourselves another month to get things together. Ideally once we do a lot of this stuff once, the next one won't be so much work. All I know is that I would love to make these sales frequent and the only way to get people to keep coming, is to make the first one as clean and streamlined as possible.
I'm going to post this to the blog, so lets take our conversation over there instead of filling up our mail boxes.
Happy Friday girls!
Saturday, May 24, 2008
labels and tags for cheap
700 SE 122nd
outdoor sale for cheap fabric all summer and inside for pattern paper and tracing wheels
pattern making supplies
*Columbia Art & Drafting supply
1515 E Burnside St
pattern making supplies
labels, tags, thread, pattern making supplies.....
and the list goes on....
pattern making supplies
Tuesday, May 13, 2008
Watch out for us, we're not kidding....